The Ubiquity name was launched in 2004, however previous to this time they were known as CINetServices, which was founded in 2002. Most of their staff works in Bloomington, Illinois, while some work at their data centers in Dallas, Chicago, New York City, Seattle and Los Angeles.
Each of these data centers exist within the largest available IP exchange in the region, which reduces added latency and risk that come from long-haul transit and make massive network availability cost-effective for their customers. Their internal network is all-Cisco. For bandwidth, Ubiquity is directly partnered with Mzima Networks, who maintains a smart-routing network extremely similar to Internap, which uses Force10's sFlow technology.
Moving on to features, Ubiquity does quite a lot different. They use InterWorx as their primary control panel. A few unique features that come from this include:
- Real-time graphical statistics
- Email AntiVirus with 10,000+ definitions (ClamAV - updated nightly)
- Capacity for instant load-balancing / clustering for a rapidly growing site
Ubiquity also does a lot beyond the software they're running.
- Dense security - custom Linux kernals, densely configured mod_security, mod_dosevasive, APF Firewall
- Support for managed video servers- ffmpeg, ffmpeg-php, libb-vorbis, mplayer, mencoder, flvtool2, lame encoder
- Developer environment that supports PostGreSQL, Ruby on Rails, Java, Pear, and more
- Optional support for PHP 5, jailed shell user access, direct crontab access